Protein powder often contains dairy, this is because many of the powders are made from whey. Whey is a byproduct of the manufacture of cheese, so it isn’t okay for those with dairy free diets.
Thankfully, non-dairy protein exists.
- Pea protein
- Hemp protein
- Soy protein
- Various seed protein
- Brown rice protein
Why take dairy free protein powder?
You might choose dairy free over whey if you have an allergy to dairy, or are vegan.
Protein powder is a great way to boost your intake of the macro, helping you to reach your goals. If you are a vegan, you might find that some of your meals are quite low in protein, having a shake to give it a boost could be an easy way to up your intake.
You might use protein powder without dairy for
- Post workout shake
- Cooking high protein treats such as Millionaire Shortbread
- As a meal or snack replacement
What are some of the best dairy-free protein powders?
Here are some of the high protein dairy-free shakes we have tried and enjoyed. They’re not powdery, or slimy. We’ve tried some pretty nasty ones, so we know what we like and don’t like!
Gold Standard Plant Protein
- Gluten free
- 24g protein, 143 calories
- 100% of protein from plant sources
Superfood Outlet Hemp Protein Powder
- Nutty, hemp flavour
- Mixes well into porridge, a shake or yogurt
- 50% protein and contains all essential amino acids
- Great value
PhD Smart Plant Protein
- 97 calories, 21g protein
- Versatile, can make it into moose, a shake or bake with it
- Sweet flavour
- Thick – not for you if you don’t like a thick shake!
Super Pea – Bulk powders
- 119 calories, 24g protein per serving
- No lactose, cholesterol or gluten
- GM free
- 100% Pea Protein Isolate
- Blends well, try adding berries and fruit for a delicious and high protein smoothie
Pulsin Unflavoured Soya Protein Powder
- Unflavoured ready to add your own ingredients
- 2 heaped dessert spoons is 18g protein and 80 calories
- Gluten free
- You will need to add things to this to make it taste good. Try a scoop in porridge and add fruit and honey. Or to soup for a protein boost.
- Great price
Looking for protein with another dietary requirement? Head over to our blog where you’ll find something to suit you.